What to Do and Where to Eat in Brookside, KC
Brookside may be Kansas City’s prettiest neighborhood. The historic cottages and bungalows stretch up and down tree-lined streets where neighbors walk dogs and take jogs. You’ll see young couples with strollers and retired couples enjoying the sunshine on a nice day. It’s a nearly picturesque community in the heart of Kansas City, and there are several great Brookside events for residents and visitors alike.
There are also thriving businesses in Brookside. These restaurants and retail shops can be the perfect compliments to your day at Brookside events or, really, any day you decide to visit the area. What Brookside events can you plan on attending, and which local restaurants should you check out while you’re there?
This guide will give you all the information you need to plan the perfect day in Brookside.
The overall vibe of Brookside is best captured on a lazy, quiet Saturday morning. It’s a relaxed area. But every now and then, Brookside kicks it up a notch. There are two major annual Brookside events that you can add to your calendar and plan on attending.
The first is Art Annual, one of Kansas City’s many celebrations of the arts. This is a creative town; more so than many people realize. Brookside events like Art Annual remind everyone how impressive Kansas City artists are. For more than 30 years, this weekend-long event has helped kick off the summer in Brookside. Over the course of three days, more than 70,000 folks from around KC visit the Art Annual to see art, walk around the street booths and find a great meal. Many of the restaurants in the area have special deals or menus during the festival.
The second major annual Brookside event is the St. Pat’s Parade. Some St. Patrick’s Day celebrations can get too rowdy for kids, but this is an Irish party for the whole family. Come down to Brookside on the Saturday before St. Patrick’s Day for marching, dancing, parade floats, game, food and more. There’s a whole section of this parade dedicated to dogs, so you really don’t want to miss it.
One more thing. Even though you won’t find it on the Brookside events calendar, you can make an event of your own out of a visit to The Leopold Gallery. If you appreciate fine art, this is a great idea for you. The Leopold Gallery is nationally recognized and renowned.
Other annual Brookside events to look out for:
- Brookside Sidewalk Sale: This annual event happens every July. Stores that participate in the event offer discounted merchandise and in-store events.
- Brookside Sip and Shop: Do you love shopping and wine tastings? You can participate in both activities at this popular Brookside event.
- Trick-or-Treat Street: Bring your kid to the historic Brookside shopping district to enjoy a safe afternoon of trick-or-treating.
Restaurants for Brookside Events
Brookside has a handful of the best restaurants in Kansas City. If you’re looking for Mexican food or French cuisine, coffee or cocktails, you can find something in Brookside that fits the bill. Plus, all of the restaurants in the area are a perfect complement to these Brookside events.
You can look at our complete guide to Brookside restaurants for a fuller picture of what the area has to offer. In the meantime, here are several local favorites.
- Brookside Barrio: Do tacos sound good? Check out this taqueria-inspired restaurant and bar in the heart of Brookside. The environment is casual and comfortable — don’t worry about dressing up.
- Bella Napoli: Jake Imperiale opened this Italian deli and marketplace in 2001. It was built on the lessons of his Italian mother and strives to serve authentic Italian food, wine and market goods. Bella Napoli is beloved in Brookside, and is a great option to stop in during one of these Brookside events.
- Michael Forbes Bar & Grill: A true neighborhood bar and grill, Michael Forbes is the perfect place to relax with a drink. Gather ‘round the table with your best friends for some classic American food, good drinks and even better conversation. This local joint has been feeding hungry Brooksiders for more than 30 years.
- The Roasterie: One of Kansas City’s oldest and largest coffee roasters, The Roasterie in Brookside is a great place to fuel up with delicious coffee. There’s plenty of seating indoors to meet with friends, as well as an outdoor patio to sip outside on a sunny day. The Roasterie sources its coffee ethically and roasts excellently, and you can order pastries to go with your drink.
There’s plenty to do and eat in Brookside. We hope you can create great memories at some of the restaurants and events.