What to Do and Where to Eat in Riverside
Have you been to Riverside, Mo.? It’s a small city on the northwestern side of downtown. It’s most recognizable feature, the Argosy Casino Hotel, may be the most popular reason to visit. While the casino is great, there’s a lot more going on in Riverside.
This guide to Riverside events will give you all the information you need to make a day of your visit to this under-appreciated community. From marathons to festivals, there are Riverside events for people of all interests and ages. Whether you are flying solo or bringing the whole family, looking for a date or hanging out with friends, these Riverside upcoming events are a good option to throw on your calendar. Plus, we’ll let you in on the best Riverside restaurants to visit while you are in the area.
Let’s get right to it — here are the best Riverside events.
Riverside Events for You
There are a handful of Riverside community events that you may want to plan on attending. Thankfully, there’s something happening in each season. No matter when you’re looking, there are most likely Riverside upcoming events in the near future. These are several of the most popular events in the area.
- City-Wide Garage Sale: Twice a year, Riverside residents clean house and work together to put on a city-wide garage sale. Once in the spring and once in the fall you can thrift your way across the city. If you are a resident, this is the perfect time to watch a minimalism documentary and sell all of your stuff (okay, maybe not all of it). Of all the Riverside events, this one is the best for bargain hunters and budget shoppers around Kansas City.
- Riverside Art and Music Festival: This free, all-ages event is held each fall in Riverside, typically in September. During this downtown Riverside event, there will be art booths, street vendors, live music and cultural exhibits. The creative spirit of Riverside is put on full display during this festival, and we recommend you make time to check it out.
- Northland Half Marathon: One of the Riverside events for any athlete to consider is the Northland Half Marathon. This annual course takes runners right along the Missouri River on a beautiful route. This race is great for beginners or seasoned runners looking to set a new personal record. Sign-ups are open!
- Scottish Highland Games: The Scottish Highland Games is a unique cultural festival that can be a lot of fun to attend. The original Scottish Highland games were a series of challenges that tested the skills, strength and wit of participants. A version of the games is recreated each summer in this Riverside community event. Along with putting the physical strength of participants to the test in the games, there is Highland dancing to watch and participate in.
- Holiday Lighting Ceremony: Kansas City’s most well-known lighting ceremony happens each Thanksgiving on the Country Club Plaza. If you’ve ever been to Riverside, it’s no surprise to learn that this community also has a fantastic Holiday Lighting Ceremony. Like the Plaza, Riverside’s architecture is unique, with many peaks and flourishes reminiscent of a beautiful Spanish city. Each November, attend one of the most popular Riverside events to watch the city come to life with thousands of lights.
Where to Eat During Riverside Events
Where can you get a good bite to eat while attending one or more of these Riverside events? You have plenty of options. Check out the complete guide to Riverside restaurants for a full picture of what this city has to offer. For now, here is a culinary snapshot that will set you up for a delicious meal at one of Riverside’s upcoming events.
For something quick and cheap…
- Corner Café: This family-run restaurant has been around Riverside for decades. It’s a great place for a lunch sandwich and cup of coffee. They also have several dessert options for anyone with a sweet tooth.
- Adelita’s Mexican Restaurants: Don’t look for the word “Adelita’s,” look for “MEX GRILL” in an unassuming strip mall. It may not look like much, but this is authentic Mexican food that packs a flavor punch you won’t forget.
For a dinner date to cap off a nice evening…
- Trezo Mare: Welcome to your romantic Italian evening. Trezo Mare’s luxurious vibe creates an upscale dining experience with the food to match. The menu focuses on authentic Italian cuisine made with fresh ingredients, as well as wood-fired steaks.
- Cascone’s: If you want a nice dinner but also want to dress down a bit, Cascone’s is the place for you. Enjoy a nice sit-down meal in a welcoming environment at this Kansas City institution. It’s the perfect way to cap off a day of Riverside events with the whole family.
For a bite at the Argosy…
- 99 Hops House: If you want to visit the casino while you are in Riverside, 99 Hops House is a good restaurant for a burger and beer. This spot serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Even though it’s a hop house, you can bring the kids, too.
There’s plenty to do and eat in Riverside. We hope this guide has been helpful as you plan your time at the City of Riverside events. Enjoy!