Your Guide to Food in Independence
Independence, Mo., is one of the oldest towns on the west side of the state. It’s a city rich with history, from its place in the formation of Kansas City to its claim as the home of Missouri’s lone U.S. president Harry Truman. Today, Independence is still an important part of the cultural landscape of the greater Kansas City area. That includes the quality restaurants in Independence, Mo.
The Independence area is sprawling. It’s one of the largest suburbs by land mass in the metro area. There are hundreds of restaurants in Independence, Mo. We won’t be able to cover them all, and we may even miss your favorite. But, while this guide to the Independence dining scene won’t be comprehensive, it will help you find the best restaurants in Independence, Mo., for your next meal out.
For the sake of organization, we’re going to break down these restaurants by type of cuisine. Find your favorite flavor and get ready to chow down with the help of this restaurant guide to Independence, Mo.
Mexican Restaurants in Independence, Mo.
Americans love Mexican food. Like, we really love it. We eat it more than any other type of food. And if you are like most Americans, you will love these Mexican restaurants in Independence, Mo.
- La Fuente: Your ideal laid-back Mexican restaurant in Independence, Mo., with delicious, affordable Mexican meals, margarita pitchers and Coronas. Come in on Taco Tuesday for $1.50 tacos.
- Los Cabos Mexican Grill and Cantina: A little more upscale but still casual, Los Cabos is idea for a sit-down Mexican dinner. The oversized outdoor patio makes it even better on nice evenings.
- El Pico Mexican Restaurant: El Pico takes traditional Mexican recipes and adds a bit of flair and ingenuity to create delicious dishes made with the freshest ingredients. We recommend the Signature Street Tacos — some of the best you’ll find in Independence.
- Palomino’s Restaurant: One of the best Mexican restaurants in Independence, Mo., this local institution was established in 1995. They are renowned for their homemade-style salsa and have received several small business awards for their service to the Independence community.
- Salty Iguana: “Where the spirit of Kansas City meets the flavors of Mexico.” The Salty Iguana is a classy cantina with daily lunch and dinner specials, a great atmosphere and tasty food.
- Pancho’s Mexican Food: You can’t talk about Mexican restaurants in Independence, Mo., without mentioning Pancho’s, a classic dive for late-night bites and absolutely giant burritos.
Barbecue and American Restaurants in Independence, Mo.
Kansas City’s world-famous barbecue can’t be contained within city limits. Some of the best meat you’ll find in the world capitol of barbecue can be found at restaurants in Independence, Mo. Here are several you should check out.
- A Little BBQ Joint: A family-owned business smoking meat in Independence with great service and an even better atmosphere. Choose from sandwiches, meat platters and ribs for a mouthwatering experience.
- Smokehouse Barbecue: How does a juicy barbecue sandwich with a side of fries for less than $8 sound? Stop by Smokehouse Barbecue for one of the best lunch specials you’ll find at any restaurants in Independence, Mo.
- Gates Bar-B-Q: Gates ranks among the most famous barbecue restaurants in Kansas City. With several locations around the metro, the Independence outpost is always a good option. Gates is specifically renowned for its sauce, so lather up those ribs and chow down.
- Ophelia’s: Moving on from barbecue to American cuisine in general, Ophelia’s is an upscale spot for fine dining in Independence. This restaurant is family-owned and operated, and was founded out of a desire to revive the historic Independence square. The bar and food menus are exceptional.
- The Court House Exchange: This relaxed pub is the perfect spot to grab a beer with friends on a Friday night. The Court House Exchange has classic bar munchies like nachos, fries, buffalo bites and onion rings along with sandwiches, soups and salads.
- Corner Café Independence: You know the locals love a restaurants when it has more than 1,400 reviews on Google and higher than a four-star rating. The Corner Café is one of the best restaurants in Independence, Mo., and has been serving customers since the early ‘90s. If you want fantastic home cooking, this is the place to go.
Italian Restaurants in Independence, Mo.
Kansas City has a deep Italian history. Some of it good — the many businesses and restaurants opened by entrepreneurial Italian Americans — and some of it bad — the mafia stuff. We’re going to focus on the good with these Italian restaurants in Independence, Mo.
- Salvatore’s: A member of the famous Garozzo family tree, Salvatore’s was originally opened in 1991 as Garozzo’s Due. The name was changed when Fred Garozzo’s son, Salvatore, took over after his father’s retirement. The kitchen whips out traditional Italian meals with excellent craftsmanship.
- V’s Italiano Ristorante: V’s prides itself on a romantic atmosphere accompanied by exquisite Italian dishes. Things have changed a lot since V’s opened in 1963, but you can always count on your dinner to be delicious and your evening to be enjoyable.
- Café Verona: This café has the perfect location in Independence Square to trick you, if only for a moment, into think you’re at an airy café in Italy. You’ll find pasta, chicken, fish and more on the menu at one of the classiest downtown Independence, Mo., restaurants.
Chinese Restaurants in Independence, Mo.
Sometimes there is nothing better in the world than Chinese takeout. Whether you are looking for the perfect meal to pair with your Netflix binge or hoping to find a Chinese buffet to fill up at, these Chinese restaurants in Independence, Mo., should hit the spot.
- Lao Peking Chinese Restaurant: Order from a large menu for pickup or Chinese food delivery in Independence, Mo.
- Master Wok: This Chinese restaurant has been around the KC area since 1996. Master Wok strives to use fresh ingredients and elevate the profile of Chinese food in the area. You can order takeout, dine-in and catering services from Master Wok.
- Mama Garden: If you’re looking for a family-friendly Chinese buffet in Independence, look no further. Mama Garden has a massive amount of options at its buffet.
There are many more restaurants near Independence, Mo., than we have covered here. If you don’t know much about the Independence food scene, this restaurant guide to Independence, Mo., might lead you to your new favorite meal.